Thursday, August 13, 2009

Why Mother's Day is not my favorite holiday

Mother's Day just doesn't do it for me. I know that must sound like I'm some kind of terrible mother (and maybe I am), but I'm just not crazy about Mother's Day.

I'm not sure if I can fully put my finger on what it is...perhaps a couple of things. For one thing, when I wake up in the morning, I will have this feeling that I will have to be "on" all day. Well what if I wake up with a headache or just plain grumpy in the morning? I will have to fake things all day, just for the sake of Mother's Day. The one thing that I do enjoy about Mother's Day is planting flowers. I love to garden. Don't like to organize and clean, but love to plant and watch my flowers grow. My roses are about to bloom and my irises might pop through tomorrow. This is the one thing I look forward to each Mother's Day. My kids always help me dig in the dirt and stick the flowers in. That is a tradition I hope to continue. I hate trying to fit all of the Mothers/Step-Mothers/Grandmothers/Godmothers and on and on and on into one day. That is exhausting! So I just don't try anymore. I am also now the world's worst about sending cards. None of the moms will get cards from us--I know how insensitve and careless that sounds, but I am just too scatterbrained. Three children have done this to me! I honest to goodness, used to have my Christmas cards with pictures and newsletters inside in the mailbox on December 1st. Ha! Now they are lucky to arrive by New Years! And everyone always got a card from me for every holiday. My how things have changed. I still owe my nephew birthday money...his birthday was January 5th! Sheesh. I know...it's bad. The truth of the matter is, that I dont' need a special day for all this rigamaro. I talk to my mother, grandmother, step-mom every single day...multiple times. They know I love them because I tell them every day. That's Mother's Day to me. Tomorrow we will go to church and my kids will fight all morning about their breakfast and their clothes and I will probably run out the door with two different shoes on and thinking thoughts of killing my kids on the drive to church because they have unnerved me so...that's Sunday mornings at our house. But then I'll sit on the church pew and look over at my three precious ones and realize that Mother's Day really is pretty special, despite my skeptacism. Happy Mother's Day girls! We made it another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment