Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Didn't Mean to do it...

I didn't mean to do it Mommy
Said the child so small
Will I remember the broken glass
Or the tears that would then fall?

Will I look back and remember
Dirty fingerprints on the door
Back when my big boy
Was just a tiny four?

Will I remember making mudpies
In the sandbox right out back
Or will this be a memory
That I will find I lack?

Will I remember the tiny hands
That tried to pour the tea?
Or will my memories be obscured
By the mess it left for me?

Will I remember the curious questions
Of my little child?
Or will I be to distracted
With the dishes that were piled?

Will I remember the spring blossoms
That were picked by the child of six?
Or will I remember scolding them
For the garden I now must fix?

Will I remember the tiny hands
That the fingerpaint clung to?
Or will I remember the work involved
In removing the stained hue?

Will I remember dunking cookies
In a glass of milk so cold?
Or will my memories be only
of the couch stain so bold?

Will I remember the fun we had
Draping blankets over chairs?
Or will I just remember
mending my best quilt's tears?

Will I remember painting fingernails
And her face that held the smile?
Or just the spilled polish
On the table in a pile?

Will I remember the sound of bouncing balls
Down the hallway floor?
Or just remember cleaning
Muddy ballprints off the door?

Will I remember their creativity
And their strong will to be heard?
Or will I remember marker mess
And the struggles that occurred?

Am I savoring every moment
For they are passing quick...
Or overlooking these small moments
As the hands of time go tick?

1 comment:

  1. What a poem..So many mommies will not remember all the everyday stuff...it is by far more important in our memories than any mess or any broken object...the time we share as mothers with our small children are the diamonds of our life as mommies.

    ReplyDelete