Thursday, August 13, 2009

Happy Mother's Day from the Adopted Child

Happy Mother’s Day from the adopted child…

I do not know you
Have you seen me?
In a crowd of people
Would we be able to see

That we are connected
In some cosmic way
By something we would do
Or something that we would say?

How old are you?
Are you even still alive?
Maybe you are fifty
Or maybe fifty-five?

Is your hair dark as coal
Or maybe laced with gray?
Do you remember back thirty-two
Years ago this day?

The only Mother’s Day
You would ever share with me
For you must have loved me so,
Because you set me free.

You carried me inside of you--
Nine short months is all we had.
With every kick and wiggle
Were you happy or were you sad?

I know not the reasons
You had to let me go
I am not certain
If I will ever know.

Do you think of me today
As I think of you?
Do you wonder where I am
Do you wonder what I do?

Do we look like one another
Do our voices sounds the same?
I wonder if you even know
That Amanda is my name?

Amanda means loveable
And rightly named was I,
For I love with my whole heart
And when it breaks I cry.

Do you have squinty eyes
When a smile glistens your face?
Is your life blessed with laughter
Or is that really not the case?

Is my Grandma still alive?
And what about my Dad?
Do I have brothers and sisters?
I want to know so bad!

I was raised by two people
Who thought I hung the moon,
I was far from perfect though
They would find out soon!

I had my share of rebellion
Got in trouble a time or two,
But all in all I wasn’t bad,
The exceptions were quite few.

I grew up and got married
And had three children of my own,
I wish there would’ve been someway
That I could’ve made that known.

I wish you were around
To talk and just to chat,
To do mom and daughter things--
Paint our nails and stuff like that.

I have love all around me,
But I have never felt quite whole,
I have always wanted to know you
In the deep depths of my soul.

So on this Mother’s Day night,
I will look at the stars above
Blow sweet kisses into the wind,
And send you Mother’s Day love.
~Amanda Griffith

No comments:

Post a Comment