Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Bffs

Today I got up with Kevin and made his lunch for work and then went back to bed! Lastnight I was too tired to sleep I think. I was definately too tired to go downstairs and do laundry, but when I went to bed, I was wide awake, so I went in the living room and watched Southern Belles. Anybody watch that? I think I could get hooked on it. (I'm a dork, I know) Anyhoo, I stayed up til midnight watching that and after Kevin left this morning, I was still sleepy so I went back to bed. I rarely do that, so when I awakened at 7:15 this morning, I was mad for cheating myself out of those 2 hours of morning that I love so much!

I am considering playing church-hookey today and finishing cleaning my house because one of my two best friends is coming over for a cook out. I have lots of friends, but I have two best girlfriends that are more like sisters to me. Deana Dawson Mitchell and Lee Ann Gray. Deana and I have been best friends since 5th grade, went away to college together, and still remain best friends. I'm convinced that we're soul mates. Friendships like that are few and far between and I am so lucky to have her. We have been through so much together and share such a history that has spanned two decades.

Lee Ann is the one coming over today. Lee Ann is my other best friend and she and I met when I moved back to Covington from Bluefield. I knew people in Covington because I grew up here, but I had been gone for 6 years, so I didn't have any "real" friends here in Covington. My oldest son (who at that time was a mere 6 years old), signed up for soccer. I was at the Moose for soccer practice--just sitting in my chair and I noticed this radiant light of sunshine standing at the playground. You know when you are attracted to a boy/girl and you just feel that pull and that chemistry? Well, that's what I felt toward Lee Ann, minus the who romantic part HaHaHa! That is Lee Ann though. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt like that towards her. She has such energy and radiance that could light up a dark planet. She has such optimism and empathy that can bring you out of your darkest places. People are just drawn to her. We were friendly acquaintances for a about a year--seeing each other at soccer and YMCA basketball, but not much more. Then in 2006, I got this crazy idea that because our families meshed so well (we were great together, her husband DJ and Kevin were great together, and our two oldest kids were great together) that we would have a blast together for a week at the beach. So out of nowhere one day, I called and suggested that! HaHa. What a great idea it was, because here we are, 3 years later and we are the best of friends, as are our children and our hubs. I only wish Lee Ann and DJ would've had one more child so Wyatt would have a buddy, but Lee Ann said there's just noway. HaHaHaHaHa. Lee Ann and the kids will be joining us at OBX for a week in June. DJ had to work, so he got the short end of the stick this year.

One of these days it is going to work out that Deana and I get to go to the beach together again. We have a "southern star" to wish on and lots of old promises made on the deck of a beach house that we need to see realized. Wouldn't it be great to have lots of money? It's not things I would want, but it's people. I'd love to be able to spend so much more time with my friends and family. I know that doesn't cost a dime, but when everybody has to constantly work, it's hard to mesh schedules.

OK, time's a wasting and I have a house to clean and lots of towels to wash today--the toilet overflowed twice yesterday and then we had to replace a pipe on Friday--lots of towels to deal with.Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment