Thursday, August 13, 2009

Birthdays

My precious Wyatt is 4 years old today! So cliche to go on and on about how the time flies and how they grow up so quickly. Now we know how our own parents must've felt at each milestone...4th birthday...sending us off to Kindergarten...our 13th bday...our driver's license...high school graduation...and what must've been just a little more than the blink of an eye, we were gone and out on our own.

Probably most of you all reading this are married and have children. Kev and I will be married 12 years in August. Man, it seems like just yesterday that we were picnicking in Cade's Cove on our honeymoon. Then came Riley and even when he was small, time just went by a little slower. Natalie came along and it went by a little quicker, but still a much slower pace than now. Wyatt came along and life took off in 5th gear!

Wyatt has brought so much joy to our lives, despite the fact that we never had plans to have that 3rd child. He was the most beautiful baby I have ever laid eyes on--just perfect. For the first year of his life, he would only let me hold him...we had a very special bond. I would pay for that by his 3rd year, because then he discovered his Daddy-O (that's what he calls K) and I was soon forgotten :-) Wyatt and Kev have an incredibly special bond. I love to watch those two play catch or lay on the couch or listen to them have a conversation.

I read an article a long time ago in Parents magazine. It was about going overboard for kids' birthday parties. Lots of parents go crazy with birthday festivities and I was one of those people for a long time. The conclusion of the article urged us TO GO OVERBOARD with the birthday festivites...that doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune...it's about thought and time anyway...as are all things that bring happiness. June 23 is the one day of the year that we celebrate 7 lb., 4.5 oz 20 inch long, Wyatt Harden Griffith! What a gift that is to treasure and be entrusted with and a true blessing from God. It's a honor for all of us to be given our children to care for and love and raise to be wonderful, loving, giving adults.

Our birthdays are the one day of the year that people celebrate each of US--just for being US. It's a day to tell others that life just wouldn't be the same if you weren't here and I'm sure glad you are. It's nice to know that your mere existance makes a difference in the world.

I'm glad to have my FB pals...if you're on my FB friend list, your mere existance has made a difference in my world in some way and I appreciate that...now let's get these birthday festivities rollin' baby! Happy Birthday Wyatt! Love, Maurice

No comments:

Post a Comment