Saturday, February 20, 2016

In a world of Eeyores, Be a Tigger


I ate and drank myself through the Christmas holiday. When I went to slip into my favorite pair of jeans for a New Year’s Eve party, I nearly died. I could barely get my thighs in them!  I was about to bust the seams out! I got on the scales and realized that over the summer and fall, I had managed to gain 25 pounds. I mean…when you’re good...you’re good. Wow. 25 pounds. In a matter of months. I went to the party in a different pair of pants. The following week, I decided enough was enough.  I decided that 2016 was going to be the year that I took care of Amanda. I haven’t had an actual doctor in seven or eight years. I know that sounds terrible. My former doctor stopped practicing due to family matters and I still haven’t been successful finding a replacement. “Find a doctor” was on my list of things to do in 2016. I also decided after nearly 10 years of lower back pain, I was going to bite the bullet and go to the chiropractor to see if I could get lined out (no pun intended.) I decided I was going to start eating better and exercising. 2016 was the year for Amanda.

I had been working out downstairs. I had my Gilmore Girls on Netflix and I was rocking out those 25 minutes on the elliptical. I finished that and then lifted weights. Healthier and stronger in 2016!

I finished up and noticed that my left boob was sore. I was thinking it was probably from those butterflies I have been doing. My upper body hadn’t seen weights in a couple of…ummm…decades. Yeah, ashamed to admit that but nevertheless true. I came upstairs and I took off my shirt and lifted up my bra and started feeling around on my sore breast and there it was. It was a lump. First of all, who decided “lump” would be a good word for it? That is a horrible word. How about a fluff? Fluff is a good word. Lump is horrible sounding. I found a lump though. As luck would have it, I already had my yearly GYN visit scheduled for that following Monday (this was Friday.) I had my exam that Monday and I told my doctor what I had felt. She felt it and didn’t really feel like it was anything but went ahead and scheduled a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out the bad stuff. I had the mammogram and ultrasound done on Monday, ten days after my exam. Perks of being a small town girl--I knew the girl who checked me in, I knew the girl who did the ultrasound and while I didn’t know the girl who did the mammogram, we are chatty in small towns, so I felt like I knew her before we finished.
I kept hoping to hear things like “this really doesn’t concern me” or “we see this a lot, it’s probably from too much coffee.” None of those words ever came though. What did come were “We see some asymmetry. It may or may not be anything but we want to err on the side of caution and go ahead and get a biopsy.” 
Biopsy. Just like lump, it’s a horrible word. Lump…biopsy…and we all know what comes next in that list of horrible words.

I went in for the biopsy on Wednesday. My dad went with me and also drove me to the mammogram Monday.  The day of the mammogram it was snowy and the roads were bad. If it would’ve been just an ordinary mammogram, I would’ve rescheduled but I had waited over a week and I couldn’t wait any longer. I would’ve called the National Guard to get me there if I had to.

I have such a good dad. I’m sure a lot of us feel that way about our dads. He is usually the pessimist (hello Eeyore) and I am the “eternal optimist” or so he nicknamed me years ago. I always see the glass half full. I always give the benefit of the doubt. I think everybody has good in them and I think there’s more good in the world than bad. I’m the funny, light-hearted one.

For the last couple of days, I have been the pessimist. “Tut, tut, looks like rain.” I have been cheating myself out of today’s joy and blessings by worrying about tomorrow. And because I’m worrying about my children and their future, I have justified it all in my head. I’m doing nobody any good though. I’m making myself sad and everybody around me sad and worried. My Eeyore dad looks like Tigger compared to me. My husband is coming back at me with coach pep talk when I start to be a Debbie Downer. Everybody wants funny, witty, light-hearted Amanda back. And so do I. And she will be back. But for now, she waits in limbo.
*********************************************** 
“Hello?”
“My I speak with Amanda Griffith?”
“This is she.
 “I wanted to go over your mammogram results.”
“Yes.”
“I spoke with the ultrasound tech today. She said they were concerned about that mass, which is surprising to me. [MASS??? Now it’s a mass??? Now lump doesn’t sound so bad anymore. Ok, focus Amanda]
“Yes. I’m supposed to have a biopsy tomorrow.”
Everything from that point on, I can’t remember. I can’t remember because I was standing at the dairy cooler in the supermarket with my daughter while I took this call.

Ok, let me take this time to interject. There should be a girlfriend doctor’s guide and the first question you should ask is, “Hey gurrrrl. You ain’t all up in the Wallyworld are ya?” Because medical reports should not be given while I am trying to decide between mozzarella and monterey jack and my daughter is looking at me.
I’m sure all of the color drained from my face. It wasn’t that the news I had just received was really any different than before, but it was a different delivery. And it scared me. And somehow I got to the checkout counter with my cheese and my daughter, and I was texting my husband and I don’t remember checking out and the cashier probably thought I was the rudest person ever. And there’s a lesson I took away that day. I have looked at people and passed judgment on their actions or words. “Oh my gosh how rude!” But what if those people had just received some bad news? We don’t know everything we think we do. We need to be kind to everyone we meet, even if it doesn’t seem deserved. I wouldn’t have deserved anybody to have been kind to me that day, in that moment.  We don’t know what others are struggling with. Always be kind.
*************************************************
Wednesday
I arrived at 7:40 am to register for the biopsy.
“What would you like to pay today?”
“Well I’m not sure. What is today’s cost?”
“!$%!”
 “Oh, is that all?”
“Buh-bye Lasik surgery."
Yeah. We rarely even meet our medical deductible throughout the year. We are healthy people. We had tucked away the maximum $2,500 in our flex spending account this year and if we came to the end of the year and the kids hadn’t broken a bone or we hadn’t had to spend that medical money, I was finally going to get my eyes corrected. 
This biopsy would have me meeting my deductible and my out of pocket all in one fell swoop. Grrrr.

After registering, I went into the room and they explained everything that would be happening. Basically they are going to numb me and then they use the ultrasound to see where the mass is and then they stick a needle in there and it sucks up the tissue sample and they release it into a jar to send off. Yeah ok, well they do that four or five times just to be sure they get a good sample.
While the doctor was looking around, he saw what appeared to be an enlarged lymph node. He decided to go ahead and biopsy that also. That is probably what scared me the most. I have heard people whisper about cancer patients, “Yeah, I heard it has moved to the lymph nodes” in that death sentence tone.
It took about four or five samples for the lymph node biopsy. After that was complete, I could finally put my arm down from over my head. I had it up there for so long that I couldn’t feel it. My hand and my fingers were numb. It felt so good to put that arm down. Next came my breast and when that needle went through my skin, I didn’t feel a thing, but it sounded like the jabbing of a dull pencil through a piece of rubber. The sound made me flinch. The breast biopsy went much faster and with three samples, they were finished. I got “tagged” and then went back to mammogram to do another mammogram with the biopsied spots tagged. This is done so they will know in the future what places have been previously biopsied.
I asked the doctor when my results would be in. He said Friday or possibly even Thursday. I told him to not make me wait through the weekend. I begged him to let me know by Friday and not make me go through the weekend not knowing. He gave me his cell number and told me to call him if I hadn’t heard something by Friday afternoon.
I got iced down and dressed and went on my merry way. I came home and I took turns between icing and sobbing. I was scared. All I could think about was how much my kids needed their mom. I frantically thought about proms and graduations and weddings and grandbabies. I had to be here to answer the phone when they called and needed help with a colicky baby or how to make cornbread or when they couldn’t find that lost pair of red socks that goes with their uniform. They need me. They needed their mom and I had to be here.

The following day was not much different. Less ice, but the same amount of fear and tears. Deep down, I felt like it was something, in spite of the positivity that surrounded me.

My closest friends and family knew about what I was going through by this time. They were offering me all the support and kindness and love and prayers that I could hold as we waited for the results. I have been surrounded by total love and compassion and it is a beautiful thing. Friday morning I got up and began the normal weekday routine, getting kids lunches packed and finding lost things, getting kids off to school. Everyone had left except Natalie and she was standing by the door and she said, “Hey mom, look at those two cardinals right there in the tree.” I walked to the porch and looked out there and sure as the world, there were two beautiful red birds in the maple tree in the front yard. As ridiculous as this sounds, I saw them and a peace that I hadn’t experienced until this moment, came over me. I had been praying for peace, others had been praying for my peace, but I hadn’t received it until that moment. When I saw those birds, I knew everything was going to be ok. I came back inside and I googled cardinals and I learned that sometimes our loved ones come to us by way of birds when we need them most. I have missed my grandparents every day since they passed but I haven’t truly needed their wisdom, their peace, and their amazing love until this. 
And there they were to tell me not to be scared and not to be anxious because it’s going to be ok. And like the flip of a switch, I was a different person. All of those doubts and fear were replaced with strength and positivity and hope and belief and complete resolve and suddenly there was no room left for fear and negativity.
******************************************
Friday
Around 10 am on Friday, my phone rang. Caller ID said Roanoke. I answered on the first ring. It was the radiologist who did my biopsies. He greeted me and the next word was “unfortunately.”
“Unfortunately the tumor did show cancer. It’s about 2 centimeters so that’s the size we like to catch it.” “The lymph node we biopsied didn’t show any signs of cancer though, so that’s a good thing.” He apologized for having to give me this bad news. I told him that I had three of the most amazing reasons to fight like hell and that I had no doubt in my mind that I would kick butt. He wished me the best and said farewell with “God bless.”
I hung up the phone and I didn’t cry. Not one tear. I didn’t fall apart, and in a way, I actually felt better than yesterday. Yesterday I didn’t have the facts. Yesterday I spent my day imagining the worst possible scenarios and practically making my funeral arrangements. Yesterday I sulked and felt sorry for myself. Virginia Woolf said, “It is far harder to kill a phantom than a reality.” I was fighting a phantom over the last two days—that voice in my head that was trying to destroy my resolve and my faith and my strength. It wasn’t a reality and it WAS far harder to kill. Now I have a reality. I have breast cancer. I am that girl that Martina McBride sings about—“Cancer don’t discriminate or care if you’re just 38 with three kids who need you in their lives.” All the years I have listened to that song and now it’s me. I am that 38 year old with three kids. And yes it sucks. Cancer sucks.
This was not what I had planned. We have baseball and softball and track this spring and a great beach trip this summer and I’m going back to school this fall to get my teaching degree! I didn’t have "get cancer" on the calendar.
None of this was planned and none of this was something I ever wanted to go through. I have cried and I have been scared, but I have never once asked “Why me?” And I won’t. This happened to me because it’s part of my journey. It’s not what I would’ve picked for myself—a little trip to the Caribbean with endless little umbrella drinks would’ve worked out just fine for me—but that’s not what was put in my path.
In the coming days and weeks and months ahead, I refuse to be an Eeyore. I refuse to cheat myself out of my todays by worrying about tomorrow. 

While there is a lot of unknown right now, one thing that I know with complete certainty is that my amazing family and my amazing friends will be right by my side to love me through it. 

We got this.
-lightningbug

3 comments: