Saturday, June 4, 2016

Morning Musings...

Saturday, June 4, 2016. 
I had chemo last Tuesday. The chemo I am taking now is called Taxol. It’s supposed to be easier than the first four rounds and I guess maybe it is in some ways. Taxol has its own set of challenges, however. You’ll remember last time I told you about my intense muscle and joint pain. My oncologist said he was afraid I might experience that and he seems to see it more with younger women. He felt that the second one wouldn’t be as bad. And so far the second one hasn’t been as bad but when I hear “I don’t think this one will be as bad” I actually hear “I think you will feel so great that you will be able to go out and jump hurdles!” Not exactly what he meant apparently. Last night it started to hit me and today it has continued to hit me. I ached from about 3 am up until I got out of bed at 7. I ran a hot bath and put some muscle soaking salt in there and hopefully it will help. In addition to my legs aching, I also am getting these shooting pains in my head. That’s always fun. Sigh. As if it’s not enough to have cancer, then you get to think you’re also having an aneurysm! Ah. Good times! I hate not being able to get up and do what I want. It’s definitely frustrating. I know I will feel better by Tuesday if I can make it through these next couple of days—it’s just getting through the yucky days.

The other thing that is annoying these days is my tasters are completely off. I have no appetite. You have to eat when you have cancer because you need your nutrients and your strength yet I want nothing right now. Get this. I haven’t even drank coffee for three days. I have been drinking apple juice because it tastes good to me. That is just plain insanity right there! And I’m hungry! I sit around and think hmm, wonder what I could eat that would taste good to me? Last week it was watermelon. I had an ice cream cone yesterday and even that didn’t taste good to me. It’s frustrating. I can’t wait to taste again. I love food and coffee and doughnuts—you know I haven’t had a doughnut in probably two months? That’s just crazy talk! 

Safe to say I'm pretty sick of having cancer. I’m just over it. It sucks. And then I feel guilty because I think of all the people who have an illness that won’t ever be over—it will be a constant fight forever. Rest assured my fight is not all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes I have dark clouds and thunder just like everybody else. I just try not to let it stick around very long.

I am having some neuropathy—my fingertips are numb and tingly. I had this after the last treatment but it went away before I took the second treatment. And I am so tired. I worked Thursday and I came home and I went to bed at 5pm. I was just absolutely zonked. That usually seems to get better by Tuesday so that gives me a week of feeling decent before it’s time to go back. The good news is I only have to go back two more times! My next chemo is on my 39th birthday! They offered to reschedule it but the truth is that knocking out one more chemo is the best birthday present I can get. After that one I will only have ONE MORE!!!

I think I have explained the process, but several have asked so maybe I haven’t. After I finish my chemo (last week in June), I will rest for a period of four to six weeks. That just pretty much gives my body time to chill out and get ready for another hit. I will go back to see my breast surgeon after I finish chemo and she will check things out and then get things rolling to set up my surgery (should be August.) The surgery will be done with my breast surgeon and my plastic surgeon and will be about a four hour surgery.  I am having a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. What does that mean? Both boobs are going adios and they are putting in a balloon like device behind the muscle that they can access to fill with a salt water solution every week or two. That will allow everything to stretch over time and then in about three months after that surgery, I will have another surgery to remove the balloon device and have silicone implants inserted. There’s a chance more surgeries will be required but I am being optimistic that everything will go great.
The surgery in August will be the hardest part of all of this. I will be out of commission for a couple of weeks and knocked out on some strong pain meds. I don’t look forward to that because I am a bit of a control freak and I have NO IDEA how life will POSSIBLY go on without me for two weeks (think highly of yourself much, Amanda??) Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

Now that I have told you how I’m feeling and what the next few months hold, I have to tell you about the FUN upcoming stuff! And there is all kinds of fun stuff!

Our baseball team has a tournament in Myrtle Beach in July! I wasn’t sure I would be able to go after my diagnosis, but I should be good to go! I'm so excited! Rest and relaxation, salty air and sunshine = best medicine for Amanda. Anybody who knows me knows that is my 100% happy place.

The Battn’ for Boobies Softball tournament that my friends have organized will be July 23 at Jackson River Sports Complex (get registered if you haven’t!) It's way more than just a softball tournament so even if that isn't your thing, be sure to come down and hang out with us!  

The Covington Lumberjacks are having a breast cancer awareness night on July 26! Be sure to come out for that!

And last but not least, I am having a Bye Bye Boobies party at The Rail on Friday, July 29. I have had the most AMAZING SUPPORT throughout this journey and this is my chance to say thank you to everyone. Be sure to come to The Rail and bid my boobs a fond farewell…a Boob Voyage…Ta-Ta to the Ta-tas. More to come on that later!

If I could only figure out how to bottle up the support that this community has shown me, I would give it to every person who is battling cancer. You all have done more for me than I can ever express.


-lightningbug

No comments:

Post a Comment