Sunday, May 11, 2014

Because I can’t find the right section in Hallmark…

I didn’t buy any Mother’s Day cards this year.  I suck.  I went down the aisle and got all choked up when I realized this was the first year of my life that I didn't have a grandma to send a Mother's Day card to and decided I would go back later and then it was Saturday and that just wasn't going to work.

I used to always have cards bought and mailed at least a week before the holiday.  Even the seemingly cardless holidays like St. Patty’s Day and Halloween and National Hot Dog Day.  I was a card sending fool.  Then I had another kid.  Then I had another one after that one.  And then I got a cell phone and a laptop and a Facebook and it suddenly became much easier to procrastinate until the eleventh hour and so I have fallen victim to the way of the new millennium. 

So here I sit, with one mom up the road, one Ma in Alaska, a mother-in-law two hours away and two grandmas in heaven, one of which is a recent inductee, thinking about mothers and the contributions of them on my life.  And they don't exactly have that section in Hallmark.

My mom is Rebecca Jane Neal Stover Redman, also known as Becky, or to me, Mama.  I could sugar coat this and tell you that we had this beautiful, magical life together for my first eighteen years, but that would be a lie.  We didn’t.  We fought like cats and dogs and we bumped heads at every turn.  You will never catch me saying that she didn’t (and doesn’t) love me though.  She and my dad also had their fair share of head butting.  It wasn’t the most harmonious marriage to say the least.  I retreated to my room quite often and found my outlet in paper and pen.  Given different circumstances, who knows if I would’ve found writing down my crazy thoughts so necessary?  I’ve tried to explain my “need” to write to some of my non-writing friends and they don’t get it.  Sometimes when I feel something (good, bad, or ugly) I HAVE to write.  Sometimes I feel like I can’t catch my breath until I write.  It’s way down in me.  And maybe if I had a perfectly harmonious childhood, I would’ve never thought to seek refuge in my journal.  My mom was silly also.  I’m pretty sure I inherited a little silliness.  My mom always made time to go see and do for those in need.  She volunteered at nursing homes and was constantly taking food to shut ins.  She had (and still does) a heart for the elderly.  When my Momaw Stover was ill in the nursing home, she would go down and visit her as frequently as any of the rest of the family.  I saw something not long ago that said, “Just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to love you doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.”  She loves me with all she has.  No doubt about that.


My mom’s mom was Kathleen Eileen Knight Neal.  Momaw Neal to me.  She was a sweet, loving woman.  She had four children and four grandchildren.  I remember going and staying with her when I was a kid.  She was a widow and she could drive, unlike my other grandmother.  She would drive to the post office down the road in Pratt and right before the post office was a railroad track.  I can remember the arms coming down to indicate the train was coming and my Momaw saying that train was was down the track and she wasn’t waiting and she would just zigzag right through those arms.  I guess I got my danger and bad driving from her.  Ha!  She had a heart of gold and would do anything for anybody.  


My dad’s mom was Thelma Mae Settle Stover.  Aka, Momaw Stover.  If you know me, you will know what she meant to me.  If you’re some random person in Ukraine who stumbled on my blog, I will need to explain.  My Momaw held my heart.  At the top of the extremely long list of contributions was her time.  She talked to me, she played with me when I was a child, she constantly prayed for me and she listened to me.  REALLY listened to me…like nobody in my life has ever listened.  She was quiet and just listened.  She didn’t listen and interrupt and try to give me advice.  She listened purely and genuinely and as much with her heart as her ears.  If I asked her for advice, she would offer it and usually she was right.  And by usually, I mean always.  She always encouraged me to do the right things.  She was so selfless and I admired that so very much.  She bragged on me like grandmothers do, even though I certainly wasn’t worthy of all of her praise.  When she was ill in the nursing home, people used to tell me how lucky SHE was to have ME.  I used to think…If they only knew how I was the lucky one.  There was no other place that I would’ve been than by her side.  She devoted her entire life to being by mine.  This year she gets to spend Mother’s Day with HER mom though and that’s pretty awesome for her.



My mother-in-law is Brenda Starr Pruitt Griffith.  She has been in my life since 1996.  She has always been there for me when I needed her and unlike the textbook mother-in-law, she butts out when we don’t need her :)  When anything comes up suddenly, we know she is just a phone call away and will be at our side as soon as she can hop in the car and get here.  I remember her coming and staying with us after third-born entered the world and it was such a blessing to me.  She helped me with the other children so I could take care of my new baby.  She cooked and cleaned and I remember crying when she left because I didn’t know how I would’ve done it without her andn I wasn't sure how I was going to do it when she left.  She was with us during and after the infamous derecho and taught me how to brew coffee without a coffeemaker and quite possibly saved my life and the lives of my family members who I may have killed if I went much longer without coffee.



And last but not least is Frances "Rose" Faulker Gasparetti, or "Ma."  I have Faulker in me.  Maybe it was destiny that I would love to write.  She’s the woman who carried me for nine months and gave birth to me and held me and sobbed and then handed me over to my mom and dad.  I found Rose last year after a lifetime of wondering who my birth mother was.  It was an amazing journey and has continued to be an amazing journey as we learn more and more about each other.  We have so many similarities and it’s so much fun when we discover something and one of us says, “Oh my gosh!  Me toooo!”  Rose taught me about selflessness and sacrifices.  Finding her has given me a sense of confidence that I have lacked my entire life.  She came to visit a year ago and we gathered with my friends and family and I will never forget the words of my best friend the following day.  She said, “You should’ve seen you.  I have never seen you shine with such happiness and confidence.” 

Happy Mother’s Day to ALL of the MANY women in my life who have helped shape me and nurture me and love me!  It really does take a village.

~Until next time,
Lightning Bug




No comments:

Post a Comment