Friday, July 17, 2015

Have FOMO, Will Travel

It’s July and all my friends are on vacation. At least that’s the way it feels. I think I am the only person in my zip code who is sitting at home scrolling through pages of Facebook and Instagram pics of palm trees and sunrises and little umbrella drinks. I have a bad case of FOMO this week. (Fear of missing out) for all of you over the age of 40. I am missing out this week! And it’s driving me bonkers! The good Gemini twin in me is happy that everyone is spending time off and enjoying themselves but the bad one is very jealous and making the “hmph” face in complete jealously that I am missing out on all the fun!

Here’s the thing. The first week of May, my family flew (my first time EVER flying) to Florida and spent a week in Cocoa Beach (our first ever Florida beach vacay) and we had the most amazing time! It was magnificent! But that was almost three months ago! And while I’m sure everyone wanted to kill me while they were at work on a Monday in May and I was posting Instagram pics of the sunrise over the Atlantic...

Well…that was different. Ok, not really. It was the same. Probably worse. That still doesn’t make my FOMO any better this week, however.

My husband has a week’s vacation next week. We blew our summer vacation funds (and then some) on our amazing May Florida vacay, so it’s not in the budget to jet off to the Caribbean next week. It’s not even in the budget to jet off to Lake Moomaw next weekend. I thought I would be happy just relaxing at home and catching up on some projects (I love projects!) but that is no longer doing it for me. I want to be adventurous! So I had an idea.


I made an itinerary for next week. We’re going to be world travelers after all! That’s right. We are going to travel the world!
We start Sunday afternoon in Manhattan at the Tribeca Film Festival. We will feast on NY style pizza and NY style cheesecake and then we are off to the Film Festival (Hull’s Drive In for a double feature of Minions and Max.) 

Monday’s forecast (so far) seems to be threatening thunderstorms, so  we will be heading to Seattle to enjoy morning coffee and then jetting off to Hawaii in the evening (an evening of Hawaii Five-0 reruns, Teriyaki shrimp and rice and Hawaiian shaved ice.)

Off to the Caribbean for a day of sunshine and surf on Tuesday (Douthat State Park.) We may even get wild and crazy and rent a paddle boat. We will wrap up things back home with Caribbean Jerk chicken skewers and Bahama Mamas by the firepit.

Wednesday we are heading to New England to watch our beloved Red Sox at Fenway Park (Salem Red Sox.) We’ll swing by our favorite local restaurant (Red Lobster) for some New England Clam chowder first.

We’re breaking out our passports Thursday and heading across the Atlantic to Italy. The kids are going with Papaw to Cucci’s for lunch and fun and the mom and the dad are going to Roanoke for a movie and an Olive Garden lunch.  We’ll be sure to swing by the Wallyworld on the way home to pick up some creamy gelato for dessert! Ciao!

Friday we will stay put in the 24426 and catch up on things before pulling out the passports once again to jet off to take in all the splendor of the Eiffel Tower! 
That’s right! Paris! 

Not everybody has the means to jet off to all the exotic places they would like to go, but everybody has an imagination! 

Hopefully this will inspire you to use yours and have an exciting vacation even when the budget won’t allow for the “real deal!”

Arrivederci!

-Lightningbug


No comments:

Post a Comment