Monday, February 16, 2015

Griffith Farmhouse Table DIY

Farmhouse Table Materials List:
5- 8’ 2x8’s less than $6/each at Lowe’s)
4-pre-made legs of your choice (mine were $15/each at Lowe’s) or you can use 4x4’s, just make sure you are not using any treated lumber
3 or 4 (depending on length of your table)-8’ 1x4’s (we used 1x6’s which you can use, but it makes a tight fit for legs if you are using standard dining chairs)
2- 8’ 1X4’s for underneath table support
L brackets
Screws
Dark Walnut Stain
Paint (I used Color Place Antique White satin because I had it sitting in my basement)
Latex gloves, dust masks, brushes, and at least a case of beer


I have been oooing and ahhing over farmhouse tables for months now. I love to watch Fixer Upper and My Big Family Renovation on HGTV and and they always feature farmhouse design. It’s the “in” thing right now and rightly so. It’s awesome! It’s warm and inviting  like primitive and country design, but it’s light and airy with a more updated vibe. 

My dining table was bought several years ago and was counter height. Counter height is awesome and I loved it while we had it, but I have just been itching to get a regular height dining table. After pinning and pinning and pinning some more and researching and reading tutorials online, my husband agreed to build me a farmhouse table. He’s a super handy guy, so I had complete faith in him pulling this off.

My daughter and I took off to Lowe’s last weekend and started loading up materials.  I took that opportunity to go all liberated woman on her and tell her how girls can do anything that boys can do and nothing was going to hold us back and we were going to rock this thing out and on and on and on. And then I realized I couldn’t get the 2x8’s down from the top shelf by myself so I had to ask a man for help. Ha! We won’t be burning our bras just yet I suppose.

We began our process by figuring out the length we needed for our table. I wanted 5 ½ feet and my husband insisted on 5 ft., 4 inches. I have no idea why. He’s handy but he is a weirdo. Sixty-four inches it was. Fine by me.  I've learned to pick my battles.

He cut the five 2x8’s down to 64 inch length and then we sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded some more until they were nice and smooth.  After they were sanded, I stained the boards with Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I used a brush to brush the stain on and I set a timer for ten minutes and then wiped the boards down with a rag. After that was done, we waited several hours for the stain to dry and then back to the sander to age those bad boys. Lots of sanding around the edges to really make them look worn since the look you are going for is old barn wood. After the second sanding, we applied Johnson's paste wax until it formed a haze and then buffed.
Here you can see how the wood went from lumber yard to beautiful with stain and sanding! 

Ok, after that, I came inside because it was colder than a witch’s tit in a brass bra outside, so the details on the next part are a little sketchy to me, but I do have some pics, so hopefully if you are handy enough to be building this table, you can figure out what he did next.

We decided on how we would lay the boards and he laid them side by side and used 1x4’s to go across the backs. Pre-drill your holes in EVERY.SINGLE.THING you screw in during this project. You do NOT want to spend hours and hours and hours staining and sanding and staining and sanding and then have your wood split. That would suck royally.
Here are the boards for the tabletop laying across our old dining table before we screwed them together.
And by we, I totally mean he.




Underneath the table.  You can see the 1x4's used underneath.
After the supports were screwed into the back, it was time to attach the legs. And I forgot this on the materials list because I was at church when he went and got this GENIUS redneck-fabulous solution to attaching the legs.  A normal person who lived someplace where there is an actual hardware store open on Sundays would go and get lag screws and drill in the leg and attach into the tabletop. MY husband went to the only place open in Covington, VA on Sunday…Wallyworld and got some kind of screws to mount a toilet and cobbled them up and made them work.  As he attached the legs, he also attached the 1x6  “aprons” with L-brackets.  Again, don’t forget to pre-drill.  That’s seriously the most important part of this project.  







Oh and he added those corner braces with scrap wood.

Once all the legs and aprons were attached, we flipped the table over 


then it was my turn to shine!  I had been debating on what color to paint the base of the table.  Shoot, I had been debating on what MATERIAL to use on the base of the table. I had been thinking of using metal because I think the rustic and industrial are AMAZEBALLS together. But I stuck with more traditional french countryside and did the wood legs and decided to paint the base white, mostly for neutrality. I painted two coats of plain ole cheap, grab and go Color Place Antique White satin paint from Walmart (because it’s what I had in my basement.)  

Normal people would let that dry overnight and then sand. I let it dry a couple hours (30 minutes maybe) and started sanding around the edges and just random places to get a distressed finish. You can distress furniture in a bunch of different ways (google it) but I’ve found just plain ole sandpaper to be my go-to way.  I sanded and then I realized I was sanding bare wood, not something that was finished and I was just spicing up. Duh. Here’s your sign. So then I was like…uh. What am I going to do now? See, I wanted nice dark marks to come through when I sanded, but because the wood was bare, I was getting bare wood marks when I sanded (ugly and not visible.)  So then I had to figure out what to do next. I got my Minwax dark walnut stain and I began rubbing it on the places where I had been sanding and then rubbing it off quickly. That began to darken things up the way I wanted them. 


This was a tedious process which could’ve been completely avoided by just painting the base a dark brown before I did the white.  I did all of that and stood back and still wasn’t crazy about it, so then I decided to try one more thing before I chopped the entire thing up for firewood.  I got a few rags and I dipped my rag into the stain and I rubbed it onto the white paint (as you would a glaze I think? I’ve never used a glaze!)  I rubbed it on and then very quickly (like as soon as I got it on) rubbed it off with my clean rag.  I did that process to the entire base of the table and it was THEN that I finally decided I loved it and wouldn’t be having a bonfire tonight.


Our first dinner at our new table!


Today husband built one bench using 2-2x8's and the sides are precut 1'x 3' pine boards (kids are sitting on) 
I still have to finish painting it.
We're going to do benches on the long sides and metal chairs on each end after the snowstorm passes. 

We will have the table and two benches done for around $200 (I think! I stink at math!)
Hope this inspires you to farmhouse out something in your house! You can do it!

-lightningbug



No comments:

Post a Comment